closkot

D.B. Reynolds
Jaguar Fever
Terry Spear

Gateway

Gateway - Christina Garner My Thoughts - 4 out of 5 unicorns - I really liked it!!
***Gifted to me by the author

Okay, yes the author gifted this to me, but she didn’t ask me for anything in return. She just knew I wanted to read it, but I always do reviews on the books I read. I just think it is important to always fill you all in :)

The cover is simple but elegant though seems to evoke feelings of sadness because she does not seem happy.

This is a tough review to write because it touches on things most people do not want to talk about fear, mental diseases, mental institutions, and suicide. When I started reading this book, it made me very sad because I am a teacher, and I never want to see a young person give up fighting. I want them to preserve and overcome all through hard work and help from people who love them.

Ember starts as a floundering teen dealing with more than any teen should have to because it is more like she is taking care of her mom rather than the other way around. The feelings she has are very real to life, and I see teens struggling with some of the very same issues. I loved watching her grow stronger and start fighting. She threw herself into learning and a new life.

This book shows Ember’s struggles with both internal and real life demons. She learns all sorts of new things about herself and things she never new existed. Taren throws her for several loops, but what boy doesn’t. By the end of the book, I was totally sucked into the world Christina had created. If you liked anything that I’ve said about this book, you should definitely check it out :)

I can’t wait to read Chasm which I just bought. It will have to wait until I catch up on some other reviews first though.