closkot

Duncan
D.B. Reynolds
Jaguar Fever
Terry Spear

My Thoughts - 4 out of 5 Unicorns - I really liked it!!!

The Island Trilogy: (complete Island series Books 1-3) - Jen Minkman

Book 1 (The Island)I liked this book, and see the possibilities for it getting better as a series.  This first book for me was a little slow and some part did bore me, but you have to these parts to understand the world.
It has references to Star Wars which I was a little slow on the uptake especially considering her name was Leia.  She is a very strong character, but also very naïve.  You really see her grow throughout the story. Parts of it reminds me of Lord of the Flies where kids rule.  This is the first time I’ve read a book by Jen Minkman, and I’m continuing on with the rest of the trilogy.  I will let you know how it goes :)

Book 2 (The Waves)I really enjoyed this book, and I’m really starting to connect with Walt and Leia now as well as a few others too.  I think it is amazing how Jen created very different views of history in this two sets of peoples on the same island.  I never read the blurb for this book, so I was surprised that it wasn’t about the journey across the water but instead Walt’s prospective.  I usually like a lot more action, but I enjoyed exploring the other side of the island :)
This is a cool world that I think my high school students would like to read because a lot of them like dystopian societies especially when they are realistic.  I’d like to eventually add this trilogy to my classroom library to share with my students.  I wonder what they would think like Walt or relate better to Leia.
Book 3 (The Deep)This book was longer and definitely had more action :)  I think for me this was the best of the trilogy.  It did still have a few parts that were a little slow for me, but I’m pretty sure this was just me because I do not usually read books that resemble real life this much :)
Jen’s writing style is great with her descriptions and makes it seem like all of this could really happen.
Now I’m torn because I don’t know who I like better Leia or Alisa.  Their strength and beliefs are amazing considering they grew up in completely different environments.  Saul & Ben really grow on you too in this story.  This book definitely had an emotional rollercoaster going.
I recommend this series to YA fans of dystopian societies that could be a possible real world in the future.